First oft, I find that it would only be fair to explain the WHY behind this blog. (meaning why am I writing this and why do you care...)
This is my 'senior year' at DU (Drury University) and I will be receiving my BA in Elementary Education on December 17th 2011!
Since I am an education major, we take classes called: Methods. These classes are where we learn how to teach math to our students and how to teach reading and so on. Of course everyone knows the best way to learn is practice. Therefore most of our methods classes coincide with practicums; where we go into the local schools and test our knowledge we are gaining in our classes at DU.
This current semester I am taking all of my methods classes and 3 of them require me to be in the schools. Mondays I am working with 3rd graders and in math. Wednesdays I am working with 5th and 6th graders in Science and then Thursdays I am working with 2nd graders in Reading/English. (All of this is through DU).
Then I am working part-time in a local public school; 4 days a week in their after-school program. Currently we have anywhere from 20 to 30 students that show up from grades k-6th. In this job I get to play sports with my students, work on homework after school, do crafts, and so much more.
*Every once in awhile I get called to Substitute Teach as well*
Last but not least, I volunteer on Tuesday after class before work at OTC (a local Community College) in their Adult Education/ Literacy Department. This means that I tutor adults that might have been school dropouts, never had schooling, and/or drama caused from an accident that requires them to re-learn everything.
Since I get to have all these experiences, normally with children, I hear a lot and get told a lot and want to share it with you.
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- March (4)
No comments:
Post a Comment