Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Volunteering

Have you ever taken your education for granted? I know I have; especially after my experience in volunteering this week.

Yesterday on the 8th I went to OTC like I normally do for volunteer time; when I get there I check in and see which students would like some 'one-on-one' time with a tutor. Well this time I had a gentleman who needed help with his math.

We started working and I could tell he was understanding it for the moment, but not getting it enough for the light-bulb to stay on or for him to comprehend it fully. Therefore I changed my teaching strategy. After 2 hours of math tutoring, he needed to get to another class, so we ended for the day. However as he was cleaning up this is what he said:

" I grew up in the St. Louis city school district where back in the 60's-70's the teachers were so focused on those students creating problems that instead of teaching us we colored or worked on worksheets, while the teachers disciplined the others. I honestly never learned math like I did today."

After a couple more seconds he went on to say "You honestly taught me more today than I remember learning in the 12 years in that school district; you will be a great teacher- as you were with me. I hope to have you help me next week."

That experience that I had just reminded me why I got into teaching and why I think being a teacher is the most important career a person can have.

*Food 4 Thought: Name 1 person that has never had a teacher in their life? If you can I might send you a candy bar...

1 comment:

Laura Foster said...

Wow, that is such a great story! Moments like that do make it all worth it.

Blog Archive